Recent rains and subsequent mud and debris flows demonstrate the need for property owners to protect their homes and properties from potential mud flow damage NOW.
The City of Sierra Madre is asking all homeowners to prepare for the possibility of a repeat rain performance in the coming months, and to retain filled sandbags at their own property for immediate re-use in the event of a storm forecast.
“Used” sandbags and covers are recyclable and should not be discarded or turned back in to the City. The City is not responsible for collecting used sandbags that have been discarded in the street so please help keep the neighborhood tidy, and plan to re-use your sandbags.
Friday, May 30, 2008
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
According to the City of Sierra Madre WEB site, the Mt. Wilson Trail Race will take place on 6-07-08, at 7:30:AM.
After much assessment and forethought, the Mt. Wilson Trail Race Committee has decided to postpone the race to June 7, 2008.
The Mt. Wilson Trail Race Pasta Feed will occur Friday night, June 6, 2008, at 6pm in Kersting Court.
More here and here.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Friday, May 23, 2008
Following is the official announcement from the city:
After much assessment and forethought, the Mt. Wilson Trail Race Committee has decided to postpone the race to a TBD date, hopefully in the next three to four weeks.
While we are confident we could restore the trail after yesterday’s rainstorms, the rain that hit us last night and this morning make more work for us and compromise the safety of all participants. The ground above and below the trail is very saturated right now and with more impending rain in the forecast, there is a chance of a slide either before or during the race. While those on the committee are competitors at heart, we know that your safety comes first.
The thunderstorms that are predicted will also affect the pasta dinner tonight and the race-related activities tomorrow. We would rather wait until the weather improves and we have had a chance to get the trail more race-ready.
I apologize if this decision inconveniences you, particularly those who are coming in from out of town. We hope you can make it on the date we set, but would rather not refund entry fees and direct them to the additional costs we will have of setting things up again, and the expenses we will incur to restore the trail to race conditions.
So, everything will be the same, just a few weeks later. I knew you would appreciate more time to train!
Thanks again for your support. As much as we are ready to go with the race, we think we are doing the right thing.
The City will be holding and Emergency Council Meeting today at 1:00 pm to declare a state of emergency.
Helicopters are the Fire Service watching the hillside according to the PD, I phoned them regarding this. They have been there since very early this morning.
Apparently the evacuations are voluntary, so someone needs to tell Code Enforcement, since they indicated to me yesterday the North side of Skyland was mandatory. Several slides have occured, my sources have said no structural damage.
Sandbags are available at the City Yard.
For a morning update head over to Bill Coburns site. He has been monitoring the situation throughout the night. I woke at daybreak to the sound of helicopters, most likely the news crews trying to get footage of the hillside. Fairly heavy rains throughout the early morning hours.
According to Bill no additional flows have been reported. The am news however says today's weather will be much like yesterdays with possible thunderstorms this afternoon. Rain though Saturday, and sunny on Monday.
At this time no word on the trail race. However with the rain continuing I am sure they will be assessing the trail several times during the day and early morning before a decsion is made.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
The north side of Skyland is under a mandatory evacuation order. South side is voluntary, I took a walk to check out the situation. Code enforcement who is keeping people out of the area said there was a 3 foot flow that damaged property, pools jacuzzis gardens, no structural damage is reported. The majority of the problem is at 801 Skyland, however other homes are potentially threatened if there is another incident. WOodland noth of Mary's Market is also evacuated, not sure if it is voluntary or mandatory.
Just because there was no structural damage doesn't mean there isn't a huge mess to clean up. But lets be thankful homes are intact.
Not sure the length of the evacuation, if the rains continue reports say the residents will not be let back in until the hillsides dry.
Public works trucks are driving by my home as I type this, so the City is helping out. For information on sandbag avilability check Marys Market, Bill Coburns site or the City's site.
City sent out this announcement:
Public Works has made sand and sand bags available at Mary Market’s and the Public Works Yard. The Fire Department has sand bags ONLY available.
There are voluntary evacuations of residents on Skyland, North of Idle Hour. There also voluntary evacuations on Woodland, North of Mary’s Market. Note I was told in person by code enforcement the evacuation on the north side of Skyland in mandatory.The Sierra Vista Park at 611 East Sierra Madre Blvd has been opened as an evacuation center.
Our friend Jack, who lives at 875 Skyland Drive, is hosting a Memorial Day party for all of the upper canyon residentson Monday, May 26, 4-8 p.m.
It’s going to be a casual, hang out by the pool, kind of get together so that all of the canyonites can get to know each other better and celebrate that their homes are still standing. He’ll be barbequing hot dogs and hamburgers and providing a variety of beverages for all to enjoy.
So come out and say hello to your neighbor, and let us celebrate our good fortune. Thanks Jack!!!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Although we were all able to return safely to our homes thank to the heroic efforts of the firefighters, many of the local wildlife lost their homes. You may see them, and some kind soul circulated a flyer here in the canyon with the following suggestions.
If you see sick, injured or starving wildlife please call the following numbers:
WILD RESCUE - 866 WILD - 911 (866.945.3911) . This is a 24 hour hotline that will provide local numbers to call to assist.
CALIFORNIA WILDLIFE CENTER - 310 458-WILD (310.458.9453) They assist with orphaned and injured wildlife. They listed 2 other numbers one is for information 818 222-2658 or their hospital 818 591-9453. This facility is permitted to rehabilitate fawns and coyotes.
They also caution against putting out food that is not normally put out, but making water available at a safe distance from the house and the road which might be a good idea during this initial period of recovery.
Please remember to be kind to our friends who have lost their homes.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
In case you didn't know Mary's Market was burglarized on the Friday before the fire. Tonight will be music and a fund raiser to keep them on their feet! Come out and celebrate our homes being spared! Bill Coburn has the details on his web site.
Mary's Market to Reopen Tonight - Taco Tuesday - with Lots of Live Entertainment - Come and Spend a Few Bucks...Received the following e-mail - "Just to let you know. Mary's will be reopening for the first time since the burglary and fire. Some people wanted to get together and have a benefit concert to help with some of the losses suffered from the burglary. There will be a variety of musicians such as Jody and the Minions, Roadhouse Ron, Steven Radice and Jean, Faithanne and Friends, Joe and Maggie, and more performing there from 6-9 p.m. tonight. It would be great to have everyone back together after the fire to celebrate the blessing of the canyon being spared from the fire and support Mary's. Hope to see you there."